Here is a short guideline on how to write a persuasive essay. If you need more information on essay writing, contact us and we will gladly help you.
Writing a discursive essay can be quite challenging due to some reasons. Chief among these is lack of information on how to go about this essay. I mean, you cannot do what you know nothing about. You are bound to suffer throughout the entire essay writing procedure.
What Is a Discursive Essay?
When middle school students and even those in high school are randomly asked to provide the definition of a discursive essay, many give the incorrect answer. Those who get close fail to point out that you must provide two opposing views on the issue you are discussing.
Where do you fall? Can you define a discursive essay? A discursive essay is a formal type of writing that thoroughly scrutinizes a particular situation, problem, or issue by looking at two opposing views. It provides an avenue for you to voice your opinion regarding a specific subject by showing your views.
Implement the following strategies to come up with a compelling discursive essay
- Understand Your Question: Go through the question to ensure that you decipher what it requires of you. If you find any words that you do not understand in the query, be sure to look them out in the thesaurus. Do the same for confusing words. By doing this, you will cut out the possibility of offering a wrong argument or veering off-topic. Feel free to clarify the same with your teacher. After all, they are better placed to advise you.
- Gather Information On Your Topic: If the topic is the source of trouble, dig up more information on it from books and the internet. When using the internet, you ought to be extra careful. Not all of the information you get here is credible. Source your information from authoritative resources as well as respected websites.
- Pick A Side Of the Topic: After identifying the different sides, you can take on the matter choose one. Take one side and write as much information on it as possible. Switch to the other side and do the same.
- Create An Outline: On a piece of paper, write down all the ideas that come to mind regarding the topic. If you get more points to back up your arguments, be sure to note them down. After coming up with the points for your essay, research to get facts to support them. You can find relevant resources at from various avenues offering academic services such your local library. Write short notes as you read through various reference materials.
- Write An Excellent Introductory Paragraph: Not many students know how to start a discursive essay. I will let you in on the secret. Writing a compelling introduction will get your instructor interested in your work. Hook the reader to your article using a relevant anecdote or a quote from a reputable and renown individual. The best discursive articles start with a bang and keep the fire to the end.
When writing essays for tests, such as the Cambridge English test, it is critical to start off on a high note. The high number of candidates means that your essay should be captivating from the beginning to keep the reader interested.
This article has more information on how to write the body of your article excellently as well as guidelines on finishing with a bang. Keep reading!
Main Types of a Discursive Essay
- Opinion Essay – This essay provides an in-depth discussion on two views on a certain topic. These opinions might be your own or of someone else.
- For and Against Essay – This discursive essay provides relevant supporting and opposing views on a particular problem, subject, or issue.
- Essay Suggesting Solution to a Problem – This essay discusses various issues as the ideal solutions to specific problems. It aims to show the effectiveness of suggested solutions to tackling case problems.
The Discursive Essay Structure
Just like all other types of essays, the discursive essay employs a particular structure. It is essential to create an outline before you can start writing your essay. By planning your essay, you cut the workload by half.
These are the parts of a good discursive essay:
The Thesis Statement
This sentence tells the reader what they are about to read. Make sure that you provide essential phrases that will assist the reader to know what points are contained in the discursive paper.
Try to make your introduction compelling. You can begin your essay with a personal anecdote or a quote from the book you are analyzing. Using a quotation from an opinion that you agree with is acceptable. After the quote, you can provide an overview of the topic in transition sentences.
The Main Body
- Excellent discursive essays have one thing in common. Each paragraph presents a specific idea. It is, therefore, easier to discern meaning from each paragraph without the need to look at another.
- As mentioned before, this essay is about discussing two opposing views. Therefore, allocate sufficient paragraphs to the other stance. Ensure that the other side has a fair chance.
- Keep your argument at the back of your head throughout the writing process. You do not want to stray off-topic. Moreover, this approach will enable your reader to trace your claims throughout the essay.
- Last, use relevant research to support your arguments. The purpose of a discursive essay is to sway opinions. Proper examples can help you achieve this.
Your conclusion should provide a good summary of all the ideas put forward in the essay. Reiterate the main points to help your reader understand the essay better. Establish your position by supporting your thesis statement.
Where to Find Discursive Essay Topics
You can access a substantial discursive essay topics list on the internet. These topics are the work of proficient writers from across the globe. They are well-researched and will provide you with tons of ideas regarding discursive essay topics.You can also join online forums for students to access some of the best topics for discursive essays. You can find some interesting and creative topics here.
If you have already decided to order a discursive essay, visit our order page. Simply tell us “Write an essay for me!”, and our experienced writers will be glad to provide you with professional services!