Narrative writing is defined as any kind of writing that tells a story.
Narrative writing is usually understood as a fiction story that tells us about imaginary events and characters. But narrative writing can be easily referred to non-fiction, that latter being a story based on real facts. In the case when we consider narrative writing to be non-fiction it should be a true story, a biography.
Each type of academic writing has its purpose. Students learn to express their thoughts and ideas in a logical manner. What is the purpose of narrative writing? The main aim is to master the art of storytelling. Writing a narrative essay you understand better your feeling and emotions experienced, entertain your readers and learn how to write an essay.
A lot of people confuse narrative and descriptive. Let’s see the difference between descriptive and narrative writing. Unlike a narrative essay which is personal experience story, a descriptive essay is about some particular place, event or person. It doesn’t tell any story.
Tell Your Personal Story
Follow the rules for narrative writing. OZessay writers have prepared a short information on writing an essay. Read it carefully to get your narrative writing stimulus.
Need to tell your story? Here are key features of narrative writing:
1. Avoid using complex words. Your story should be clear for the reader.
2. There’s no necessity to describe every of your steps and movements.
3. Write only about your own experience.
4. Let your story be dynamic. Use the same words and phrases as you would use in your speech when telling the same story.
5. Don’t use too many references. If it’s possible to cite a helpful source, do it in a list of references.
6. Don’t forget about the narrative writing prompts. Ask yourself what you would like to write about. Your response will give you a topic.
7. One more important thing to bear in mind when writing is to include 5 elements of narrative writing into your story:
- A plot is a whole story from the beginning to the end, it is what happens with the characters. Conflict is usually referred to the plot and is a kind of fight between the forces.
- A setting is a time and area the story takes place in.
- Characters are divided into two types and called protagonists and antagonists. Typically, a protagonist is the main and positive hero. An antagonist is opposed to a protagonist and is considered to be negative or quite different from the protagonist.
- A theme is a central idea around which everything happens.
- A point of view is a final opinion that can be told by the 1st person narrator or the 3rd person narrator.
8. Techniques of narrative writing known also as literary devices will make all types of narrative writing more interesting and exciting. They include imagery, alliteration, hyperbole, symbolism, humor etc.
Outline Your Text
As any other types of essays, a narrative essay has its structure. Narrative writing structure is as follows:
First is an orientation that tells the readers what the story will be about, introduces the characters and the scene of the events.
Then goes the main body of the story which includes the complication and climax. The development of complication sets the sequence of exciting events and the climax is a peak of rising actions.
The final part of narrative writing is a resolution which means the aftermath of the story.
Let Your Story Be Interesting
If you are looking for some narrative writing topics here are some personal narrative writing ideas you may use to create your topic:
– Sometimes life gives choices. Write if you had a time when your choice was too difficult and how you got over it.
– Fears are a part of growing up. Write about your greatest fear ever and how you have overcome it.
– Changes in life are inevitable. Write about a period of your life when you changed greatly.
– Write about the largest risk you have ever taken.
– Write a time in your life when you were stressed out and how you have combatted the stress.
– Write about your favorite teacher and how he/she inspired you.
– Write about a time when you understood that social media influenced you.
– Write about your everyday problems that bother you. Are there any solutions?
– Write about a period of your life when you started living on your own.
– Write about the things you would like to change in your life.
Let this article be a narrative writing stimulus for you. If you need some narrative writing examples, our professional writers are ready to provide the best samples for you.